On the 1950s

Tuesday, August 09, 2011

The 1950’s were an exciting time of transition and development: Chula Vista had doubled in size following 63 annexations. New houses grew alongside lemon orchards.  One lemon orchard was sold to become the new City Hall.

Third Avenue in the 50s was finally complete. The last remaining lot became a Bank of America. The center of downtown was located on the corner of Third Avenue and F Street, marked to this day by a clock tower outside Security Trust and Savings Bank.

 

Rohr Industries was a company with a positive influence on Chula Vista’s economy with its annual payroll of $29 million. Fred Rohr demonstrated his company’s contribution by paying his employees in silver dollars purchased from the U.S. Mint in San Francisco. The 12 ton delivery took 50 men 675 hours to count the coins after 4 armored trucks delivered them. Throughout the city people saw silver sparkling everywhere.

 

The Boys Club and Little League were established, providing recreational activities for the community’s youth. The Junior Chamber of Commerce and Junior Woman’s Club took avid roles. And Guava Street became known as Candy Cane Lane.

The elementary school district could barely keep up with the growing student population but quickly adapted and built ten new schools: Rosebank, Hazel Goes Cook, Feaster elementary schools and also Chula Vista High School. Today the Chula Vista Elementary School District has 45 schools, and 25,000 students - the largest K-6 district in California.

100 Centennial Seconds on the 50s were assembled by Haley Alderete, a High Tech High senior.

More in this category: « On the 1940s On the 60s »


Copyright © 2012 Chula Vista Centennial

The Official Chula Vista Centennial Website

Chula Vista Centennial
% Mayor's Office
City of Chula Vista

276 Fourth Avenue
Chula Vista, CA 91910
(619) 691-5044